Wednesday 3 December 2014

Gluten Free Christmas Treats


I have started to stock up on some GF Christmas treats so that I do not miss out like I did last year, as it was my first GF Christmas I spent so much time trying different brands of mince pies that by the time I went back to stock up on the ones I liked they were out of stock.


These were in Asda for £1.50 so I picked up two boxes, one box is at my mums house for safe keeping, as I have already demolished the box I kept at home (I bought these about 2 weeks prior to December)


When I opened them I remembered that although they tasted good and have a good filling to pastry ratio, they were the ones with the soggy bottom!


It's not soggy as in doughy, but they are transparent as if the filling is ready to drop out at any minute 



So yesterday I remembered where I bought the ones I liked last year, Wholefoods, so took a little detour on my way to work and picked theses up 


Good old Hale & Hearty! As soon as I saw the box (although last year I think it was black) the pictures of the mince pies confirmed that these were the right ones.


Although the price on the shelf said £4.99 when I got to the till they were £3.89. Very pricey but well worth the money


Slightly battered but I'm sure they will taste as good as I remember, very tempted to go and buy another box.



Another thing that was sold out when I wanted it lasted year was the Lactofree Cream, I am yet to buy any as need to find out the shelf life and/or if it is freezable, failing that I have noted 4 to 5 different stores that stock it in my area so hopefully I will get hold of one (or two) before they all disappear.

Now I never use to eat Christmas pudding, mainly because most of them contain nuts, but not only did I find a GF and DF one, its nut free too, thank-you Asda (although I did see the Waitrose one first)



It's a small one, just enough for one portion, so I bought one for my little brother as well because he too is allergic to nuts so has never had Xmas pud before.  These were £1.50 each.

When I saw these Mincemeat Crumble Squares in Asda I could not resist (bought the rocky road ones as well) and when I tasted them they did not disappoint





They did not stay in my cupboard for very long! At £2.00 I thought it was pricey, but again they were worth it and I will purchase another box to add to the treats at my mums house, then I at least have some variety over Christmas week.

Today (3/12/14) I picked up an Advent Calendar

At £2.69 it was the cheapest one I saw as it is free from gluten, wheat an dairy, however it does contain soya, it is towards the end of the list so I'm hoping it should be ok.


They had a larger selection in Wholefoods but at £4.99 I really didn't think it was worth it. I may go back in next week maybe and see if they have reduced the price.

Although these are not a Christmas treat per se, I picked up some Genius Lemon Cupcakes because I haven't had them since my first purchase and the Christmas packaging caught my eye.


I thought the lemon would be refreshing from all the chocolate and mince pies, except I know these won't last until Xmas week!

Enjoy your Christmas shopping!





















No comments:

Post a Comment