Friday 2 May 2014

Being Anaemic - In the beginning


The first time I remember having to take iron tablets (ferrous sulphate) was in 2002, I was in my final year of uni and my flat mate was trying to get me out of bed for a lecture, but I didn't have the energy to move.  Eventually she got me to the GP surgery I was sent to the hospital for a blood test, when I went back to the GP a week later he gave me some iron tablets!

That was it, no explanation, no follow up, therefore I had no understanding of the situation.

Over the years I would go to my GP, be sent for blood tests, called with the results to say "your iron levels are a bit low, I will leave you a prescription for some iron tablets".  I remember one GP even said to me "are you sure you're ok?!? You will feel much better after you have taken these". But all the while I never really presented any anaemia symptoms, I had always gone in with some other ailment and ended up having a blood test which resulted in a prescription for iron tablets.

As I felt ok, I never really took the tablets properly and never ever finished a course, so I never felt a difference from taking them (except seeing my stools turn black!)

Yes I always felt tired, but I use to do a lot in a day, I could walk up and down oxford street for hours, go to uni, have a part-time job and party all night. When I got into full time work, more money meant being out more, then I was also studying in the evenings. So if I spent the odd Sunday in bed who could blame me and why would it be a cause for concern.

I wish someone had sat me down and explained what it all meant as maybe I wouldn't be in the situation I am today, however everything happens for a reason and I'm sure there is a very good reason for what I am going through right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment