Monday 16 June 2014

Food and Drink Storage - it's all PURPLE


Over the past few months I have collected a range of PURPLE food and drink storage containers in the vain attempt to encourage myself to take a homemade lunch to work as on the go gluten free products are scarce and expensive. So to ensure that I don't starve and to save myself some money I have also come up with some lunch and snack ideas to store and carry with me in these lovely containers.

My first item was this thermal mug which I found in Asda known as a travel tumbler which cost £2.

http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/asda-400ml-travel-tumbler-purple/001434665,default,pd.html?cgid=D24M09G01C06

It is great for hot and cold liquids, the instructions state that you should add boling/ice water for a few minutes to get the tumbler up to temperature before discarding and then adding your desired beverage.

I have tried both hot and cold drinks and I must say it works very well.  When I have peppermint tea it stays hot for at least an hour before the temperature starts to drop but you still have at least another hour before it goes completely cold.

So I would normally prepare my tea just before I leave the house then by the time I get to work 45 mins to an hour later it would be drinkable.  I also used it for my green juice and again it kept it ice cold format least an hour.

Overall this is a very good purchase and at only £2 it's a bargain!

My next purchase which I have not yet used was a salad bowl with a separate container in the lid for salad dressing which I found in Poundland, yep, it was only £1.


I have not yet had the opportunity to use this so I am not sure on how well it would store the salad and dressing but I don't envisage any problems as long as the container is kept in the fridge.  My plan is to make a variety of salads for lunch when I go back to work.

Next I got these separates from the Sistema brand in Asda.

http://direct.asda.com/Sistema-Purple-Gripper-Sports-Bottle/002009612,default,pd.html?cgid=D10M15G1C4

The first is a water bottle with a twist sip cap to ensure that it does not leak, when I purchased it, it was on sale at £4.  Since I bought it I have used it every day in an attempt to drink more liquids.  I would refill it at least twice a day and because I like my drinks cold I would store it the the fridge.

I did attempt to put it in the freezer but I must say that this was a bad idea as it freezes the twist cap mechanism, but that's not a major problem as all I did was put it in some hot water for a couple of minutes until the ice in the mechanism melted.

It has really helped me to consume more water throughout the day so I hope to keep this up at work as well.

Next is the large sandwich container again this was on sale I think it was £4 also, unfortunately this is no longer available in Asda


They had a smaller one which was literally the size of one sandwich, which for me would not have been practical if I wanted to add fruit or crisps or a yoghurt etc to my lunch. So opted for the larger one so that I could carry everything in one container.

Again I have not had the opportunity to use this but I would imagine that I would be able to pack in enough food for lunch!

Then finally I purchased this split container which I think was £2.


This seems to be no longer available at Asda either, but my thinking behind this was to use it for snacks, so maybe cheese and oatcakes or sliced strawberries and grapes or banana chips and sesame sticks or granola and raisins or carrot and cucumber sticks, the list is endless.


So no more crisps and fruit for lunch when I can't find a gluten free sandwich because I have taken a late lunch and everywhere have sold out of the 2 gluten free sandwiches that they stock. No more spending £5 plus a day on lunch because the sandwich alone is £3 upwards!

All in all some good purchase that benefit me in more ways than one!






No comments:

Post a Comment